- State Minister of Investment Promotion Dilum Amunugama says Sri Lanka received USD 604 mn of foreign investments for 30 new projects during the 1st Quarter of 2023.
- Sri Lanka’s merchandise exports suffers major decrease of 16% to US$ 814 mn in April 2023 compared to April 2022: the decrease is 0.5%, when compared to April 2021 too: declining trend noted in major export products, Apparel & Textiles, Rubber & Rubber based products and Coconut & Coconut based products.
- Former Mayoress of Colombo Rosy Senanayake appointed as the Advisor to the President on Local Government Affairs: Local Government Elections have been postponed indefinitely on the grounds that the Ministry of Finance is unable to allocate Rs.10 bn for the conduct of the Poll.
- Energy Minister Kanchana Wijesekara says Fuel Quota currently allowed on the QR system will be increased from the next month’s fuel price revision: fuel consumption has shrunk significantly on the back of the massive contraction of the economy, leading to severe cash flow problems for the CPC.
- “Glorious Church” preacher and self-styled prophet Jerome Fernando files a Fundamental Rights petition with the Supreme Court seeking the issue of an order preventing his arrest by the CID.
- Health Service Committee of the Public Service Commission says the disciplinary proceedings against Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen who was alleged to have performed surgical procedures leading to infertility in women, have been concluded and he has been re-attached to the Kurunegala Teaching Hospital.
- State Minister of Investment Promotion, Dilum Amunugama says cannabis cultivation will be permitted as a pilot project with the involvement of an investor and the Board of Investment since the “Expert Committee” has approved the project.
- “Sak Surin”, a male elephant donated by Thailand to Sri Lanka 2 decades ago, is set to return to Thailand to receive medical treatment as he is …read more
Source:: LNW English